Saturday, November 26, 2005

Internet May Aid In Treating Panic Sufferers



Science Daily Blog had this article November 23, 2005...another way in which connecting people can improve health...

"Internet-based treatments for sufferers of panic disorder may be just as effective as face-to-face methods, a study by Monash University researchers has found.

"Panic attacks can involve a sudden rush of fear or intense anxiety and physical symptoms such as racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, light-headedness or nausea. When these attacks happen unexpectedly, the person has what is known as panic disorder.

"The study compared the effectiveness of three types of treatment -- internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy sessions, face-to-face sessions, and the use of medication (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) monitored by a psychiatrist.

"Preliminary results, based on more than two years of research, showed that internet therapy was comparable with face-to-face treatment in reducing disturbing thoughts and improving stress and anxiety...."

3 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Interesting information to know.

oh, and I'm not usually a mishap magnet.. but lately... oh, lately.

I guess we all go through our share, and I seem to be attracting my share for a few years.

More pictures soon.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

ha!
The only time I have a panic attack is when my server and PC screws up.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Cheryll said...

Oh, well, I use a MAC. It so rarely ever has a problem, that I actually get more upset than I ever did with Microsoft PCs.

(I started out with Sinclair, TRS80, Tandy, Osborne and Apples. Only went to MSDOS in the mid-90s for a few years before turning to MACs.)

Now the panic attack might be having to learn Linux...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home